Our tranquil and secluded valley is more than the perfect setting for the ultimate Drakensberg getaway – it’s our home. That’s why we’re dedicated to taking care of both the stunning natural environment, and the people who make up the communities surrounding our beautiful hotel. Our aim is not just to protect, but to actively uplift, and we are always looking for new and innovative ways to support the community around us.
- Supplying food to 8 pre-primary schools on a weekly basis
- Supplying toys and educational equipment/ books where ever possible
- Regularly assisting with high school and primary school functions and specific requests
- Facilitating a work experience programme attended by in-service students from the community
- Donating food, clothes and linen on an on-going basis
- Supporting our local weaving ladies by letting them sell their products twice weekly from the Hotel
- Employing local cultural performers for hotel entertainment
- Educating and training our staff on HIV/AIDS through a programme with external counsellors
- Organising regular visits by a mobile clinic for staff on the Hotel property
- Ensuring that at least 70% of our staff are employed from neighbouring communities
- Rearing chickens to sell to the local community
- Providing wood for local funerals
- Assisting 5 destitute families with funerals yearly
- Sponsoring of food and prizes for the local December Soccer Tournament
- Sourcing firewood from a sustainable and controlled wattle plantation
- Eradicating alien plants and rehabilitating grasslands, utilising local labour
- Replanting and landscaping with exclusively indigenous vegetation
- Constant Donga reclamation and path maintenance to minimise erosion
- Discharging potable water back into the river system with an on-site water purification system
- Saving energy with eco-friendly bulbs, timer switches and day/night sensors
- Replacing all conventional geysers with low-energy-consuming heat pumps
- Installing a Hydro-electric plant to generate electricity for the Hotel and add electricity back into the grid
PACK FOR A PURPOSE
Because our community means so much to us, we are always looking for ways to invest in future generations.
The Pack for a Purpose initiative lets you help us support the community when you visit the hotel, by finding a little space in your bag for some sorely-needed supplies. Everything you bring will be donated to schoolchildren in neighbouring communities, from primary school to high school.
Find out how you can help by clicking here.
SRI CHINMOY PEACE RUN
On September 20th 2019, Cathedral Peak Hotel welcomed runners from various countries taking part in the Sri Chinmoy Oneness-Home Peace Run, in which the Peace Torch is currently encircling all 44 countries in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Maloti-Drakensberg Park has been awarded the honour of becoming a Sri Chinmoy International Peace Park and a plaque was unveiled at the Hotel dedicating the World Heritage Site to the cause of peace and international friendship and harmony. Other Peace Parks include Victoria Falls, the Great Barrier Marine Park, Mt Fuji, the Taj Mahal and Lake Baikal to name a few.
This incredible initiative was started by the late peace visionary Sri Chinmoy in 1987 as a dynamic expression of our hopes and dreams for a better world. The Peace Torch has been blessed and held by Pope Francis, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela and many more.
For more information visit: Peace Run