Social & Green Responsibility
Green issues, environmental awareness and social responsibility are all fashionable buzzwords. Cathedral Peak Hotel is in a remote, pristine and isolated valley, and as a result these topics are very much a part of our everyday life. Our relationship to the environment and the communities we live within is very important, and we would like to share some of the ways we currently show we care...
- Support 3 high schools, 5 primary schools & 8 creches by way of monthly grant-in-aid, managed jointly with community via representation on governing board.
- Mentorship programmes to Grade 12s.
- Full Technikon bursary to two matriculants annually after which they may work at the hotel.
- Work-experience programme for Grade 11 & 12 learners.
- Firewood for public area use grown from a managed sustainable wattle plantation.
- Active alien eradication and grassland rehabilitation programme employing labour from neighbouring communities.
- Re-planting and landscaping with indigenous vegetation (both water-wise and bird-friendly).
- Donga reclamation and path maintenance to minimise erosion on Cathedral Peak Hotel property.
- On-site water purification system, to ensure potable water is discharged back into the river system.
- Energy-saving measures including energy-saver globes, timer switches and day/night sensors.
- More than R700,000 spent on replacing conventional geysers with low energy consuming heat pumps.
- On-going donation of food, clothes & linen.
- Employment of local cultural entertainers for entertainment.
- Aids education, awareness and training programme for staff using external counsellors.
- 70% work-force from immediately neighbouring community
- Setting up and funding of a block-making project as part of a self-employment initiative.